Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published and is not currently before another journal for consideration. Exceptions can be granted by the Editor for manuscripts that have been published in non-peer reviewed conference proceedings or working papers volumes. If this is true of your manuscript, contact the Editor before you continue with your submission.
- Submission file format. The initial submission is a file in PDF format.
- Blind review. The instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed. In particular, there is nothing in the Author field in the PDF file under File > Properties. If you do not follow these instructions, you acknowledge that the anonymity of your submission cannot be guaranteed.
- Policies on LSA membership and personal data collection and use. Since Language is a journal of the LSA, it is strongly recommended that at least one author of any manuscript submitted for review be a member of the LSA. The membership requirement will be strictly enforced for any manuscript that appears in Language. (Book reviews and responses to 'Perspectives' articles are exempt from this requirement.) Your submission of a manuscript to Language constitutes an indication that you accept this policy as well as the policies on personal data collection and use mentioned in the Privacy Statement at the bottom of this page.
- Authorship. Complete and accurate identifying information for all authors, including email addresses, must be provided on the initial submission of a manuscript. The corresponding author and the order for listing the author names should be clearly identified. Changes after the fact to any details concerning a paper's authorship must be requested in a letter to the Editor clearly stating why the change is necessary and must be confirmed by the non-corresponding authors in a brief email message to the Editor. The ultimate decision to make changes after the initial submission rests with the Editor.
- Length requirement. Manuscripts must follow the length requirements as explained here. Specifically, for regular research articles the maximum length is 18,000 words. You can use this online tool to count the words in your pdf document.
- Inclusive language. Language supports the LSA’s guidelines with regard to inclusive language (available here), both in terms of general writing style and in terms of examples. Manuscripts that do not conform to these guidelines may be returned to authors for correction.
Fields of linguistics. The Google form embedded below has been filled out and submitted. Note: submitting this form does not constitute submission of your article. There are several additional steps. Having checked all the boxes on this page, you must click on Save and Continue at the bottom to upload your submission.
Upon acceptance of an article, authors are asked to agree to the Language Copyright License Agreement, which can be previewed here. Authors whose articles appeared in Language as of March 2013 retain the copyright to their articles; requests for reprints or excerpts should be directed to the authors themselves. Copyright-related requests for articles which appeared pior to 2013 should be directed to the Copyright Clearance Center (http://www.copyright.com/).